Friday, April 13, 2007

Why I'm starting a weblog

I'm on the computer a lot.  In this day and age, it seems more and more people are spending more and more time for work and entertainment in front of a computer.  I'll make no judgments about that right now.  That's the way it is, and it's only going to increase as time moves forward.

 

My problem started three years ago when working on contract for a local university.  I was set up at a desk that was not quite designed for human beings (at least none that I know).  The keyboard and mouse were too high and angled in such a way that to use them my wrists had to bend back as if I were pushing the desk away.

 

Well it turns out that's what I should've done.  I didn't want to complain since I was originally supposed to only be there for three months, but after a couple of extensions to my contract, I realized that I couldn't go on with the pain in my wrists and hands.

 

I actually woke up one morning thinking I was having a heart attack or stroke since my whole right arm was numb.  You'll be happy to know (I know you've already got a soft spot for me) that I was destined to live on although with something called RSI - repetitive strain injury.

 

It's been a year and a half since I decided to live in an ergonomically conscious way.  In spite of this, my wrists and hands have not completely healed.  So the plan is to share what I've learned in order to help the growing numbers that are going through the same.

 

I'm no SCI Fi buff, but I know enough to have heard of Asimov's three laws of robotics.  The first one being: A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.  I don't think it's farfetched to believe that this should apply to computers as well.

No comments: